HOSA's Competitive Events Program brings health careers education to life through rigorous testing of knowledge, performance, skill, and leadership capabilities aimed at developing, encouraging, and recognizing the brightest future health care professionals. HOSAs competitive events are divided into five categories:
Would you like to see Nevada HOSA adopt a new competitive event?
Nevada HOSA prides itself in being co-curricular with Health Science and Public Safety Programs in Nevada. It is always our priority to be offering competitive events that are relevant to curriculum and courses in Nevada programs. If you have a suggestion for a competitive event to be added for Nevada HOSA, please click here for the suggestion form.
Please note: Competitive Event suggestions are reviewed annually. Typically, no competitive events will be added after August of each year and suggestions will be maintained for review the following year.
Competitive Event Resources
National HOSA Competitive Events General Rules and Regulations
(HOSA Section B) (WWW)
- At the National level all members may only compete in one event except in Recognition events; members may participate in MULTIPLE Recognition events.
- Official uniform is required to compete starting in 2010, this excludes events that require another type of attire like scrubs or CERT gear.
Complete Competitive Event Guidelines are listed in Section B of the HOSA Handbook. Guidelines are updated and revised annually. All chapters should be certain to refer to the most recent version of the guidelines. Updates and notifications are found in the national HOSA Magazine, National Leadership Conference Guide, and Heartbeat of HOSA Newsletter.
Competitive Event Note to Nevada HOSA Advisors
Use the HOSA Competitive Events Program in the classroom as a motivational tool to encourage students to enter one or more competitive events. Your students will appreciate the opportunities for recognition in state and national competition. Advisors can use the event guidelines and rating sheets as instructional tools and as a means of inspiring students to achieve maximum performance.
Emergency Preparedness Events
Emergency Medical Technician
Life Support Skills
Fire Science (Pilot Event - State Level Only) — Revised January 2017 - Guidelines
Health Professions Events
Biomedical Laboratory Services
Physical Therapy (New Event 2016-2017)
Health Science Events
- Medical Law & Ethics
- Human Growth & Development
- Transcultural Health Care
Extemporaneous Health Poster
Job Seeking Skills
Barbara James Service Award
HOSA Activity Tracking System - Member Instructions
HOSA Activity Tracking System - Chapter Advisor Instructions
Healthcare Issues Exam
HOSA Chapter Reflections
MRC Volunteer Recognition
National Service Project
Outstanding HOSA Chapter
Competitive Event Winners
Health Career Display
Public Service Announcement
- 2015 State Leadership Conference - Las Vegas (XLS)
- 2014 State Leadership Conference - Reno (XLS)
- 2013 State Leadership Conference - Reno (PDF)
- 2012 State Leadership Conference - Las Vegas (PDF)
- 2011 State Leadership Conference - Las Vegas (PDF)
- 2010 State Leadership Conference - Reno (PDF)